Thursday, February 17, 2011

Rode hard and put away wet

Frank - in Arabic (I hope)

Yesterday I learned that this "working for a living" thing is not all that it is cracked up to be. Now I must remain vague at this point to as to the particulars of my new job but let me tell you I have learned to say "Do you want fries with that" in a particularly convincing manner.

No, I do jest. My new job is pretty much a dream job for me and I am sure it will be a pretty good fit. Once all of the protocols have been addressed that go with a job like this I will be sharing the particulars with all six of you that are now following my blog.

But getting back to my "dies horrendus" I can, and will, go into the particulars of that.

The day started early, about 2:30 in the a.m. early. I had eaten late and like Ebeneezer Scrooge in the Christmas Carol I was fighting indigestion caused by a piece of cheese or some other irritant. Being awake and, realizing that three of my three school assignments that were due were not yet finished, I stumbled down to the computer to complete the tasks.

Some of my most brilliant work is done in the wee hours of the morning, but my muse had slept late this particular morning and I struggled through all of the assignments.

I sent off the assignments, slept through breakfast (which was hard as I was also cooking breakfast) and then forced myself out through the door and off to work.

I think I will have to instigate some of the Swedish protocols around stretching breaks, coffee breaks and generally getting up out of your chair breaks if I am to survive in an office atmosphere. Fortunately, my friend Gerry has an office nearby and we get to meet for coffee and plan where we will build our next fort. Gerry and I have known each other since grade three and we started out as friends by building forts together and thought "why change a good thing" and have been building forts ever since. More on the fort building later.

Work was over and I rushed back home, changed, grabbed my books and headed off to T.R.U. where I had to teach an ESL class about the exciting world of adverbs of frequency.

Sometimes I never often get the words right usually. The lesson went something like that before it started to go downhill. Despite my bumblings the students seemed to enjoy the lesson and all gave me a glowing review on the evaluation that they had to complete at the end of the class.

Then quickly on to a 50 minute dissertation on Silence and learning. I think it had something to do with the idea that a real cowboy never passes on the opportunity to say nothing. Halfway through the class the lack of sleep was catching up with me and it was all I could do to remain conscious.

The next class was our two hour grammar class which I truly enjoy but this day proved to be my Waterloo. My classmates and I were each given 7 minutes to review a verb tense with the rest of the class. Everyone else brought Powerpoint presentations, laser light shows, fog machines, and one women was setting up a trapeze and had some guy from Cirque du soliel teaching us about future tenses. I had a piece of a chalk and a shakey understanding at best of the concept. It was probably my single-most disappointing moment of my learning career.

After my less than stellar performance one of my more compassionate classmates said "You look horrible - maybe you should get some rest!"

I concurred, went home and went to bed.

The week can only improve.

(Oh, and the picture at the top of the blog - one of my student's had my name printed in Arabic for me, I am pretty sure it is Frank but I'd better check that it isn't a part of a horse's anatomy)

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad to know it's your name. I thought it was your nose & mustache. Seriously, Arabic is a beautifully expressive language. Lindley

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave a comment. Ever since old Rebel rolled on me and I've been strapped to this old hospital bed I've enjoyed whatever posts come my way.