Saturday, March 19, 2011

Beat like a rented mule

 Kristyn Harris - A real rising star

So, yes it has been a while since I posted, but as always I have a good excuse. I have been busy.

Last weekend I was tied up with performing at the 15th Annual Cowboy Festival in Kamloops, B.C.  I was performing in what they call the Rising Star showcase. While rising star might adequately describe some of my fellow performers, in my case it should have been called "the not even a hope-in-hell competition."

I jest, of course. I had a great time even though I was competing against some very talented folks. We gave three performances over Friday and Saturday and were judged at each performance and then the top three in both poetry and singing went on to the main stage event on Sunday. Due to a mix up in the adding of scores (I am sure) I ended up on the main stage with 5 very good performers.

The kid, Jayden Stafford, who won the poetry was some precocious 9 year old who was reciting the poetry of Brian Salmond. The combination of the kid's delivery and Brian's poems made him a crowd favourite and I was quite content to use the opportunity to make 300 people I didn't know listen to some of my poems and stories. The fact that our local radio station, Country 103, put up $2,000 in prize money made the experience even more enjoyable and I walked away with some impressive folding money in my pockets for being a runner-up. Country 103 is a real strong supporter of cowboy and country music in our town and my hat is tipped to them.

The singing part of the competition was very close and again, it was youth and talent that took the top spot. Folks would do well to keep an eye out for Kristyn Harris a teen-aged Texan fireball that has an upbeat personality and a great grasp of Texas-swing.

Apart from inflicting my poetry on folks I have been busy with my TESL course and working for a living. Tomorrow with favourable weather I will be out making movies.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave a comment. Ever since old Rebel rolled on me and I've been strapped to this old hospital bed I've enjoyed whatever posts come my way.